Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Chilling Truth

As you know or don't know, I am a big fan of http://www.dogsbite.org/ and recommend it highly. It has opened my eyes as to just how serious the pit/bully issue is. I thought at one time that more people are killed every year by "bovines" (cows) than dogs so maybe not so big of a deal. No more and I apologize to the victims of DogsBite for ever thinking like that.

So now is the first annual report from DogsBite and it tells a tale. I encourage you to go to the site and read the entire report.

Report Summary
Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).


Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%.
In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.


Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

4 comments:

Paul said...

I saw that report this morning and it pisses me off. Not because of the content, but because millions of more bully type dogs are going to die, some even because they should, because so many assholes that look between their legs in the shower and only see air have to have them to prove their manhoood.

Also, I am sure you have seen this-http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=1032 thoughts?

HonestyHelps said...

I agree with you about the short dicked MF's who have made this issue. The breed has been destroyed, it is not the same breed it was a hundred years ago. But I care more for human life myself and have to agree that something needs to be done. I personally feel BSL will help the breed rather than harm it. Either that or outright bans which I prefer not to have but will support bans if that is what it takes to stop this nonsense.

And my comments on a madman's rantings, just that, a rant. Try to imagine him behind a pulpit preaching hellfire and brimstone. He has such a Messiah complex and it seems to be getting worse. I don't agree with everything anyone does but I do give credit where it is due. I won't condemn Peta because I know that they aren't animal killers. They have done more than any other group to bring cruelty to our attention, do you honestly think they would kill animals just for the fun of it? Get real. Do you think there is no such thing as a pet overpopulation problem? Whino says there isn't. Coulda fooled me. I pray and work for the day that no animal has to be euthanized for space and time and I am confident that Peta works for the very same thing. I don't feel that way about the Whino at all.

Anonymous said...

Breed specific legislation could save the pit bull breeds from what is killing them- the dog fighters, the gangbangers, the cruel and torturous who chain them and breed them into overpopulation just to die.

But the BREEDERS, who don't care about dogs, want to be able to do those terrible things to pit bulls.

So they fight against bsl, just like the AKC fights FOR the puppy mill and animal abusers.

It's all about DOLLARS!

And No Kill has now gotten involved directly with these breeding lobbies that support torturing pit bulls. They help them.

There is no hope for pit bulls, I believe.

HonestyHelps said...

You're right Anon. Why do you think we have puppy mills, because the laws are weak. Rather than wanting to stop the suffering, the (g)reeders prefer to make money. And the public is being told that there are plenty of homes, so they no longer have to feel guilty about buying a pet from a breeder. "No Kill" has turned into an evil, torturing machine.